Pages

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Baked Breakfast for Dinner

What does a snow day, bald tires and leftovers bring??? Well breakfast for dinner of course!

Since I had the house to myself and time to research, I spent more time than I'd like to admit searching for a good, healthful egg dish. I kept running into issues because I wanted it to be healthy, but also very 'comfort food'esque. Thanks to my fave blog right now, peanutbutterrunner, I kind of mixed and matched to come up with my own. I completely believe that hers would've been tastier but I was a little too lazy. Here's hers: http://bakinandeggs.com/2010/11/15/english-muffin-egg-casserole/

And here my - a little less fattening, but mostly just lazier version.

3 whole eggs
5 egg whites (or you can just use 6 whole eggs)
3 whole wheat english muffins
1 1/2 cup skim milk
1 Cup shredded swiss cheese
1 bag of spinach
1/4 cup mustard *
1 lb turkey sausage
salt & pepper

Set oven to 350

While sausage is browning, beat eggs, add milk, mustard salt & pepper, then beat again. Tear english muffins into little pieces, and add along with spinach, turkey and half of the cheese. Dump it all into your casserole dish and top with the rest of the cheese. Then smile and proudly place into oven. **

Then let cool a bit and serve. YUM I am a huge fan of things that taste way worse for you than they actually are. I may put less sausage in next time though because I got a little sausaged out, but Lucas loved it.

* - One recipe I saw said to use dry mustard but I had none and I thought hmm I do like mustard, it couldn't hurt right? and it didn't.

** - Just about all of the casserole dishes I came across suggested keeping it in the fridge for a few hours to overnight before baking. I am not patient enough nor do I have the forethought to actually plan dinner that far ahead of time, but it was still just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment